Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Goodnight, baby.

Chris got Izzy ready for bed tonight and after reading him a few books, he tucked him in and turned to leave, when Izzy asked for me to come in and give him a good night kiss. That's the first time he's had that specific request.

I go in after a few minutes and he's sitting there playing. "Rock me to sleep!," he demands. "Say please," I say as I sit down and he crawls on my lap.

"Please rock me to sleep," he says in a much nicer tone. Just so you know, Noonie is a nickname that we've given Izzy. And no, we don't know what it means or where it came from either.

As he curls up, I begin to sway back and forth and I sing our favorite bedtime song, with our personal twist:

"Rock a bye Noonie,
in the tree tops,
when the wind blows,
the cradle will rock,
when the wind blows,
the cradle will fall,
rock a bye Noonie,
my sweet baby doll."


Generally, I tear up a tiny when he asks me to sing this to him now, because I know the times left he'll want me to are so few. Tonight, though, all was cool and when he asked me to sing it to him again, I complied.

Then he asked me to do it again. "Nope, two times are enough," I tell him. So he starts singing, and in the correct tune he sings:

"Rock a bye baby,
in the tree top,
when the wind blows,
it will blow my baby away."


Then he smiles while I burst out laughing.

He's growing up awfully fast, but I think I'm going to like this big boy.

No comments: