Thursday, November 30, 2006

The good kind of heartache.

Izzy did something rotten today while Sophie was napping, I don't even remember what, and I grumbled as I was picking up/cleaning up/or fixing whatever he did. He got tired of listening to me and went off through the house.

I finished and went to see what he was doing and found him lying curled up on my bed watching cartoons. I sighed and climbed up behind him, putting my chin on top of his arm.

I said to him, in the same play-whiny voice I'd been using to grumble, "Why don't you love mommy anymore?"

He pulled his arm out from under my chin, put it around my shoulders and said in the sweetest, most sincere tone I've ever heard, "I really love you, mommy."

I let my head relax on his little chest and told him what a sweet boy he was. He smiled the kind of smile that can't help but melt the grumbly heart of a tired mama, keeping his arm wrapped around my shoulders. He then went back to watching cartoons, lightly patting my arm every few minutes.

I remained still, just lying there happily soaking up the love and marveling at how lucky I am to have this little guy as my son.

No comments: