Tuesday, January 23, 2007

I want to be a great-great-grandma.

I was flipping through the channels the other day and came across Hip Hop Harry on Discovery Kids. It's a cute show with a giant bear or squirrel thing that raps. So Izzy's watching it right now and he says to himself, "What do I want to be when I grow up? What do I want to be when I grow up?"

"What's that, hon?," I ask him, realizing that this is the theme of the show today.

He says, "What do I want to be when I grow up? I was just thinking."

"Oh, yeah? What do you think you might want to be?," I asked.

"Maybe memaw, or pepaw, or daddy, yeah daddy, or mommy, or baby. Or Hip Hop Harry. Or a teacher."

I tell him he can be anything in the world he wants to be. So he looks at the screen and points to a little boy in a red shirt, who is African-American, and he says, "That boy. I want to be that boy when I grow up."

No comments: