Thursday, August 30, 2007

Izzy's first day of preschool.

This morning he was super excited to go but when we got there he got very shy and it was tough getting him in the door. Once I did I told him goodbye and waited until he was playing, then I walked out. I waited by the door and I heard crying and then it just continued on and on. I peeked around the corner and Izzy had his hands over his face and he was standing there crying his heart out. I ran back in (should not have done that, I know) and I hugged him until he calmed down - tears pouring down his face. Poor little guy was truly scared.
Then he wrapped himself around me and kept pulling on the pockets of my shorts and it was another 10 minutes before I got out of there. The teacher held him back and I walked around the corner to listen and he screamed, “Mommy! I want my mommy!” OVER AND OVER for a good five minutes. But it wasn't like he was being a brat - he sounded terrified and was sobbing. It was HORRENDOUS. There were a few other kids crying there, but none of them were near hysterics like Izzy, and none of them were gigantic either.

When I went to pick him up, he was once again super-excited, screaming, “Hi mommy!” across the parking lot and bouncing up and down - they do a car-pool type pick up which rocks. The teacher said it took a few minutes to calm him down at first but then he had a really good day. She said they were starting to learn that he is a “real snuggle bug.” I told her he really is, which probably seemed weird to her because he’s so big.

I asked Izzy if he had a good time and he said, “Yeah, some. But a little bit I didn't because it was a little bit scary.” A few days ago he told one of Chris’s coworkers that he’d been to a whole bunch of preschools, but he’d finally found the right one. Today, however, he told me, “I don’t think we found the right preschool after all. We need to look some more. We need to find one that will let you stay with me.” I told him that none of them would, and he said, “Then I don’t want to go to preschool anymore, because I missed you all too much.” I am certain that he'll love it soon, though, because the teachers are all super-sweet.
This picture just cracks me up. I was trying to replicate a picture from when my sisters and I were growing up and I'm standing by the door smiling from ear to ear, lunch box in hand, while Micki and Crystal stand beside beaming just as big. But instead, Izzy wouldn't look at me and that's my lovely daughter screaming, "NOOOOOOOOOO...."

Yes sir, that's my babies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sure look a lot like her mommy at that age!

MaMa Norma said...

Izzy looks so grown up with his backpack and lunchbox. Sophia is expressing herself as only she can!