Saturday, August 25, 2007

This is why Chris works every day.

After breakfast this morning, Sophie and I were downstairs cleaning while Chris and Izzy were upstairs. Sophie starts dancing and holding herself, so I sit her on the potty and tell her to stay there until she poos. She yells at me, "Picy! Shut door!" So I shut the door to give her privacy. She runs out and asks for her shirt. [Back story: she's now afraid of peeing on her clothes because she once peed on her nightgown, so now every time she sits down on the toilet she starts screeching, "Wet, wet!," until I either hold her clothes or take them off. Since we're getting ready to go swimming, I just took her shirt off, but now she wanted it back.]

I tell her if she poo-poos, I'll give back her shirt. She hunches her shoulders with her fists down at her sides and stomps back into the bathroom with a sigh. A few minutes later she dances out again and says, "I poo-poo!" I go look and indeed she has. I praise her and we both jump up and down, then I start to flush.

"NO!" she yells at me, "Daddy see my poo!" Hee hee, I think to myself as I tell her to run upstairs and get him. She sprints up the steps screaming, "Daddy see my poo! Daddy see my poo!" I hear him turn off the vacuum cleaner and talk to her, then he hollers to me, "Sophie says she's pooped somewhere."

"I know," I holler back, "She wants you to come see it." Like a good daddy, he follows her back down the step, and upon seeing my smile, figures that the bathroom is the right place to head, and he goes and looks at her poo. Such is the life of the father of a two year old.

Flash forward an hour to a few minutes ago and Chris is now upstairs mopping. I tell Izzy to run up and put on his trunks, and when he gets in front of his bedroom where the floors are still wet, Chris says, "No Boo-boo!" but Izzy heedlessly runs on, slips and lands on his butt.

In between sobs of fury, Izzy yells at Chris, "You need a wet floor sign!"

Chris tells him, "But you can't read."

"I can read 'Wet Floor' signs!" Izzy screams.

When Chris comes down here to tell me what had happened, I told him that of course Izzy hadn't stopped when he told him no, because he'd called him Boo-boo, and that's no longer his pretend name.

I expect Chris will soon start putting in a lot of free overtime.

1 comment:

MaMa Norma said...

I about fell out of my chair laughing at Chris and Isaac. Poor Isaac falling like that and poor confused Chris not knowing about the wet floor sign.