Friday, November 09, 2007

Safe House

I grew up in a very safe little town of about 11,000. In fact, the only thing my family has ever had stolen from our house was my bike when I was about 9 or 10 years old. A couple of kids were walking up our little dead-end street, and took it out for a joy ride. Then tore it apart. My heart nearly broke when the policeman brought the seat back to our house. Actually, I think it was a neighbor who brought it back, because I kind of doubt my parents called the cops over a little kid's bike.

In fact, my state, West Virginia, is overall an extremely safe place to live. The even littler town we've just moved to - about 1,100 people - is even safer I now know for sure.

Today I went shopping at the bad place again, and I was looking for a slide bolt to put on the back door. I don't think we really need it, but it would make me feel better at night. I look all over the place and then I see two lone chain locks laying on the shelf. That was it. At my old Bad Mart, there was half an aisle designated to different types of slide and chain locks. Suddenly it just hit me that locks must not sell well up here, so they just don't carry them.

It's pretty nice to live in a place where people don't even feel the need to buy locks.

2 comments:

BlueSunshine said...

I reckon you could see it that way or they were totally sold out because crime is so high. HA!

MaMa Norma said...

Yes, we did call the police about your little old bike. They told us where it was and we went after it, minus seat. Found it a few days later.