Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Why, yes, I did let them out of the house dressed like this. Yes, I regretted it.


My kids like to pick out their own clothes. Today, they felt like dressing up, then Izzy asked if he could wear that hat to school as well. I told him no a few times, then he said, "But mom, I learned my lesson."

See last week, he took a giant Cat in the Hat hat to school, then got mad at the other kids for laughing. I told him they were laughing with him, not at him, and he said, "But I wasn't laughing!" I told him that when you wear something funny, it's a compliment when people laugh.

"But this is not a funny hat," he said, "This is a very special hat."

I told him when we got home, I'd put on the hat and he could see if he thought it was funny or not. I did so, and he tried his best to control the smile, but he lost it and started laughing.

Nothing more was said about it until today, when he told me he'd learned his lesson. How could I resist that?? But once Sophie saw him in a hat, she, of course, had to grab her hat too.

We dropped Izzy off at school, and then went shopping for her birthday party. I stopped at Magic Mart and as we were checking out, the cashier said, "Oh don't you look pretty all dressed up!"

Sophie smiled up at her and said, "My Izzy has a winky." OH YES SHE DID.

I pretended that I couldn't understand what she was saying. In fact, I pretended that all three or four times that she repeated herself trying to help me out.

Next time, I'm going to dress her more nondescriptly.

3 comments:

Denise said...

Okay. This cracked me, Gregg Ellyn, and Matt up! :-)

Anonymous said...

WELL HE DOES HAVE ONE! THE KIDS BOTH LOOK GREAT TO ME.

Sarah said...

I am not sure that I have ever laughed so hard as I did reading this! I love your kids!!