Saturday, May 14, 2005

Yummy babies.

Is there anything more wonderful on earth than nuzzling a newborn? If there is, I'd love to experience it! I finished nursing Sophie tonight and put her up on my shoulder to burp her and she cuddled up with her sweet little head in the nape of my neck, one little arm stretched around my shoulder, and the other resting on my breast. It was heaven. We were cheek to cheek and I inhaled as deep as I could. Wish I could bottle that scent.

I went with my preacher a while back to take some baby gifts to a girl who'd had a baby at 17. While we were visiting, she asked me what it was about baby's heads that made women swoon. She said her mom couldn't hold the baby without smelling her head. Izzy was only about 7 or 8 months old at the time, and I told her I didn't know, and I couldn't imagine. I thought it was kind of weird too.

But this is my last baby, and now I understand. It's just like the many Alzheimers' patients you see who carry baby dolls around. Motherhood is the greatest thing ever, and taking care of a precious little baby is the happiest time of your life. We smell babies heads to remember and preserve the wonder of a new life and the beginning of a wondrous journey.

I had a boss once who was completely in love with his 4 year old daughter. He told me many times over that she was so wonderful, so DELICIOUS, that he could just eat her up. He was a freak and a terrible boss, so again, I just thought this was weird and dismissed it. But now I understand. Babies ARE yummy! Not that I'm encouraging cannibalism, but I get it now.

Babies rock. Of course, my life with Izzy and Sophie currently resembles a cross between a Grateful Dead concert and a mosh pit, but we're still rocking nonetheless.

1 comment:

Denise said...

Wouldn't one of our old college friends be happy to hear you comparing your life to a Grateful Dead concert? ;-)

I do love your posts--it makes me not be able to WAIT to have kids! :-)