Friday, October 13, 2006

Wanted: Common Sense

For the last several weeks, we have all had a chest cold that just has seemed to hang on. I haven’t worried much about it because neither kid has had a fever or acted like they felt very bad.

Yesterday, I went to pick Izzy up at preschool, and the teacher keeps him till last, which means he’s been the worst kid again. I try to ask her why, and all she tells me is that he was spitting on other kids. I’m shocked, then she modifies it to tell me that he was blowing raspberries, and well, she has to call me later because her nerves are so frazzled. Give me a freaking break - he’s three. Anyhow, we’re moving, so it will all end soon anyways. But he was also soaking wet. I asked her why and she said they’d been running around in the gym. I became very concerned because his cheeks were bright red and his hair was completely wet.

I got to worrying that maybe this cough he’s had has caused an infection/problems with his heart (I know, I am indeed insane) so I called the doctor and they told me to come on in.

Ends up, the sweating was nothing to worry about but the poor kid has a sinus infection, “reactive lung disease” (may be asthma, but he’s not ready to go there yet), and he’s pretty sure he has pneumonia too! We had x-rays done, so we’ll know for sure today, but the treatment won’t change since it’s not a bad case of it. No wonder he was a problem in school. I feel terrible for not even realizing he was sick.

I went ahead and had them pull Sophie’s chart since she’s had the same cough for so long too, but her’s is caused from drainage from a sinus infection, and she has an ear infection too. And I wasn’t even going to have her checked!

Izzy is on steroids, antibiotic, cough syrup and breathing treatments every 4-6 hours. Sophie is on antibiotic and cough syrup. AND I DIDN’T EVEN REALIZE THEY NEEDED TO GO TO THE DOCTOR. I only took Izzy because of my overactive imagination.

When does that “mommy sense” develop anyhow??? Heck, I'd be happy if I even had a little common sense to fall back on.

No comments: