Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remembering.

There are few events that are more etched into my mind than when I heard about the first plane hitting the Twin Towers. I was at work and walking down the hall when one of my coworkers said that a plane had just flown into the Twin Towers. I said, "Was anyone hurt?"

Now I think that was the end of not only mine, but the nation's, innocence. Nearly 3,000 died and many more were, indeed, hurt and they continue to hurt in their hearts today.

Izzy came home from school today and told me they had observed a moment of silence, sang patriotic songs, and put out flags to remember those who died in the attacks. I had dressed Izzy & Sophie in red, white, and blue, and Sophie and I observed the moment of silence as well.

Sophie somehow managed to grasp the solemness of the situation and she sat silently beside me on the ottoman as we watched the president and vice-president observe the moment of silence. A choir then sang, "God Bless America," and when they finished Sophie said, "Mommy I loved that! I want to watch it for forever!"

I smiled down at her, and at Suzi sleeping peacefully in my arms, and tears sprang to my eyes at how very lucky I am. I marveled at how when 9/11 happened, I didn't think I was ever going to have any kids. My life and my world have been changed immeasurably since that day.

My heart goes out to all of the families touched by 9/11.

1 comment:

Brandon said...

Very nicely put Cindy.
On a lighter note, I haven't read your blog forever and I'm enjoying all the photos!