Saturday, January 23, 2010

I wonder if this is how Larry Bird got his start?

Today Izzy played in his first ever basketball game and he had FUN. We had a blast watching him too! He was very nervous going in because he doesn't know how to play basketball, but the coaches and the referees kept telling him what to do and which way to go (it's a noncompetitive church league with very kind coaches and referees!) and I think Izzy was shocked at how much fun he had. It was cool watching my kid run all around that court. Izzy is Number 33, in the green shirt and white shorts:






At the end of the game, the team went downstairs for the star ceremony. The coach gives every kid a star, the color of which depends on their strength in that game. He handed out stars for offense, defense, putting forth the most effort, and a couple more along that line. Isaac did not get one and my heart dropped thinking about how I was going to explain that to him.

Then the coach said, "Now what is the one star that we all try to achieve each game? The most important star?" The kids all yelled WHITE!

The coach said, "That right, one of you will get the white star each game, and it's the most important star because it's given to the player who exhibits the most Christ-like behavior and kindness. Now who do you all think earned the white star for this game?"

Isaac yelled, "Jesus!" The coach said, "Isaac gets the white star!"

My heart swelled as we all clapped for my sweet boy. He may not ever be a great basketball player, but he surely is a nice little boy. What more could a mama ask for?

3 comments:

McNoodle said...

That is SOO sweet! It makes me cry thinking of what a great boy he is. He looked like he was guarding GREAT in those pictures! Tell him his Mimi is VERY PROUD of him and tell them all I love them!

Maisyday said...

I so wish I could have been there! How long is his season and how often are his games? I have to make one at some point!

MaMa Norma said...

We're so proud of him! He looks like he knows exactly what he's doing and he's having fun doing it.Way to go Izzy!!