Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Happy Birthday, Suzi!!!


I know I say this about every.single.birthday, but seriously:  THREE ALREADY??  The time has honestly flown by, which seems kind of odd considering that I was awake for most of the first, oh, two and a half years of your life.


To say you were a bad sleeper would be putting it lightly.  But during the day, your bright, delightful spirit always kept me happy, if not always alert. Now that you're sleeping all night most nights, though, it's been a non-stop joy ride around here.


You are something else, and I mean that as the highest compliment ever.  Yeah, yeah, I'm your mom, I have to say that:  but here's the thing - it's true.  You are one of the coolest, most fascinating people that I've ever met.  And that's saying a lot, seeing as how your big brother and sister are so very cool, indeed.



But you already know that, don't you?  You idolize the both of them, and you know how to play them very well, too.  I can't get on you about anything without at least one of them calling me down, "How dare you yell at that sweet baby??  You're going to hurt her feelings!"


In their defense, however, you ARE awfully endearing.  You have a fabulous sense of humor, and, just like your big brother, you are already able to laugh at yourself.  And that laugh is something amazing in and of itself.  It has the power to make the coldest heart smile.  It's a big, hearty belly laugh that draws everyone around you into the joke.  And that smile??  Don't even get me started on how it can light up a whole house, much less room. (By the way - you all are in swimsuits in the picture below, wearing the shirts we made together as cover-ups.  Thought I better mention that since it looks like Sophie just isn't wearing pants.)


Your daddy likes to say that I'm interesting:  interesting good, interesting bad, but always interesting.  You, my sweet little devil, are sure to be described exactly the same way some day.  I really wish I could find the words to express how incredible you are.  You are just the most fearless and fascinating little creature I've ever met.

You are headstrong to the point of being obstinate, but you do it in such a charming way that it's somehow okay.  Like when I told you that I didn't want you to wear this hat to preschool, but you convinced me that it was actually a good idea:


Next year you'll be going to three day a week preschool, and I have to admit that I am going to miss you desperately.  You are the spark that lights up my world, and when you're away at school just like Izzy and Sophie, my world is dreary and boring.  I genuinely love hanging out with you, and some of my favorite times ever are when we're just curled up under a blanket on the couch, reading a book or watching "Curious George."  You are an awesome cuddle buddy.  Except sometimes at night when you like to sneak into my bed to lay horizontally between daddy and me and kick whoever happens to be the unlucky one next to your tootsies.

Life with you is a lot of things, but it is never, ever boring. 


Happy birthday, my dear, sweet Suzi.  I love you so much that my heart feels full to near-bursting every day.  I'm going to miss my little baby Suzi, but I CAN NOT WAIT to see how awesome my big girl Suzi is going to be!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sweet, Loving, never boring, always excited about life and whatever you're doing. Happy Birthday to my little Suzi. I love you and your big happy smile. Mama